Our strategic focus
An Active State
Sport and active recreation develops stronger, healthier, happier and safer communities.
Lead: we will relentlessly pursue opportunities to grow the sport and recreation industry and economy in South Australia.
Collaborate: we will actively engage with partners to achieve mutual goals that deliver value to the public.
Invest: we will invest in people, projects and organisations that grow and develop sport and recreation in South Australia, and optimise public value.
The Office for Recreation, Sport and Racing:
- Provides advice and investment where it supports grassroots engagement, provides inclusive spaces, supports high performance training environments and attracts major events and tourism.
- Provides advice, support and resources to sport, recreation and racing stakeholders to build on their existing capacity to attract, retain and develop participants at all levels.
- Invests in targeted programs, partnerships and resources that increase access and opportunities for all people to get involved in sport and recreation.
- Identifies, develops and supports targeted athletes, coaches, sport programs and pathways that maximise the performance of world class athletes.
- Delivers a suite of grant programs that support the achievement of the industry and the government’s sport and recreation priorities, transparently, efficiently and effectively.
- Supports our service delivery with professional, timely support services that improves our business performance.
- South Australians have access to sport and recreation places and spaces that support participation at all levels.
- People and organisations delivering sport and active recreation have the capability and capacity to deliver quality opportunities for participation and performance.
- It is easy and enjoyable for all South Australians to participate at all levels and in all facets of recreation and sport.
- More South Australian athletes achieve success on the international stage.
- Investment in sport and recreation delivers value for the South Australian economy and community.
- The Office for Recreation, Sport and Racing is progressive, responsive, and accountable.
Our Places and Spaces strategy seeks to:
- Lead the development of policy and strategy for land use relating to recreation and sport infrastructure.
- Develop and embed an evidence based investment approach for recreation and sport infrastructure and facilities.
- Develop and promote best practice for the planning, design, development, management and operation of sport and recreation facilities.
- Plan and develop local, state, national and international standard sport and recreation infrastructure to meet government and community outcomes.
- Collaborate across government to develop and co-invest in local and regional facilities that meet the needs of sport, recreation and the community.
Our Capacity and Capability strategy seeks to:
- Lead the development of resources to encourage governance structures, systems and behaviours that support good leadership and decision making
- Promote and develop sport and recreation environments that are fair, safe and ethical
- Invest in people, projects and initiatives that increase the capability and capacity of recreation and sport in South Australia.
Our Access and Opportunity strategy seeks to:
- Lead the Women in Sport agenda in South Australia
- Develop plans and strategic partnerships to realise participation opportunities for low participation cohorts
- Invest in people, projects and initiatives that increase access and opportunities to participate in sport and recreation.
Our Investment strategy seeks to:
- Consult with industry in product development
- Reduce red tape requirements for funded organisations
- Evaluate the purpose and efficacy of programs.
Our Business Performance strategy seeks to:
- Provide effective management of resources, governance, risk and services
- Provide seamless, timely and effective business support via a multi-skilled team that is supported by responsive corporate systems and service providers
- Continuously improve systems and processes to ensure they are contemporary and meet the requirements of the business.
Our organisational structure
Changes to the agency
During 2018-19 the following changes to the agency’s structure and objectives occurred as a result of internal reviews or machinery of government changes.
- Establishment of the Agency as an Attached Office in the meaning given by the Public Sector Act 2009.
- Transfer of support for the Agency from the Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure to the Department of Premier and Cabinet.